Renewable Energy Development
JAPEX has been making efforts to develop renewable energy sources, such as biomass, wind, photovoltaic, and geothermal.
In renewable energy projects, we leverage our oil and gas E&P technologies such as surveying subsurface structure and drilling, expertise in constructing and operating natural gas power plants, and our experience in building good relations with local communities.
Besides, we have roles in the operation phase of the participating projects, including asset management, fuel procurement, and others.
Biomass power generation
JAPEX has been participating several biomass development projects in Japan. We also have been pursuing the possibility of participating in additional projects related to biomass power plants, including large biomass power plants that use general wood as fuel; and small biomass plants that use unused domestic wood as fuel, which is an energy source produced and consumed locally.
Biomass power generation, using biological resources that grow by absorbing carbon dioxide (CO2) in the process of photosynthesis, has attracted growing attention as one of the carbon-free energy sources in Japan. Biomass energy, using unused wastes as fuel, also contributes to driving recycling-oriented society.
Biomass power generation projects under development
- Chofu Biomass Power Generation Project (Shimonoseki City, Yamaguchi)
- Abashiri Biomass Power Generation Project: the 2nd & 3rd Power Plants (Abashiri City, Hokkaido)
- Ozu Biomass Power Generation Project (Ozu City, Ehime)
- Tahara Biomass Power Generation Project (Tahara City, Aichi)
JAPEX currently is involved in the operation of two mega-solar power plants with a generating capacity of 1,000 kilowatts or more in Tomakomai City, Hokkaido. We have been exploring opportunities to participate in especially new mega solar power projects.
Mega-solar projects in operation
- Mega-solar project within our Hokkaido Office site (Tomakomai City, Hokkaido)
- Mega-solar project by Solar Power Tomakomai (Tomakomai City, Hokkaido)
Other participating photovoltaic project
- PHOTON sustainable PV investment (Investment in non-FIT PV power projects across Japan both in development and operation)
Offshore wind power generation
JAPEX has been looking into potential opportunities to participate in wind power generation projects, primarily offshore wind power projects which can take advantage of the geographical features of Japan surrounded by the sea on all sides. We currently have participated in a number of consortiums studying large-scale offshore wind power generation projects.
Offshore wind power generation projects under studying (including participating in the study consortiums)
- (Tentative name) Akita Central Sea Offshore Wind Power Generation Project (offshore Akita City and Katagami City, Akita)
- (Tentative name) Yuza Town Offshore Wind Power Generation Project (offshore Yuza Town and Sakata City)
Geothermal power generation
JAPEX has been studying geothermal power generation since 1970s. In recent years, we have conducted feasibility studies primarily in Hokkaido and the Tohoku region. Geothermal power related businesses, which use hot steam and water rising from underground, have much in common with the oil/gas E&P business in that both explore resources underground.
Geothermal power generation is expected to help ensure stable supply of energy in all weather. Also, hot water returned from power generation can be used for hot water supply, heating, and greenhouse culture, ultimately contributing to revitalization of regional communities.
Reference Image of Geothermal Energy Development